Updated: Aug 22, 2020
Dogs love food!
And not just the kind that intentionally goes in their bowl at mealtimes either!
They will always be on the look-out to get their paws on food left on a counter top or perhaps unwittingly dropped on the floor.
There is also the temptation to give our dog some of our own food, at times, as a special treat. After all, who can resist those soulful, puppy dog eyes!
BUT BEWARE! HUMAN FOODS CAN BE POISONOUS TO DOGS and so it is vital to know exactly which foods feature on the "most toxic" list. Effects of eating these foods range from digestive upsets, vomiting, diarrhoea, anaemia,heart damage, kidney failure, liver failure, digestive blockages, muscle shakes, vomiting, high temperatures, seizures and even death.
None of us would wish any of these on our much loved pets.
So, without further ado, here is the "most toxic" list.
ONIONS, GARLIC AND CHIVES
CORN ON THE COB (this might sound a healthy treat, but it does not digest easily in a dogs's stomach, especially if eaten whole, and can cause intestinal blockages)
ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS - XYLITOL (this is notably found in peanut butter, a flavour that features in many dog treats and biscuits. Check food labels carefully)
COOKED BONES (can cause splintering, blockages and choking)
GRAPES AND RAISINS
MOULDY FOODS (dispose of leftovers carefully and empty kitchen bins regularly)
YEAST DOUGH (one for the bakers amongst us!)
PERSIMMONS,PEACHES AND PLUMS
IF YOU KNOW YOUR DOG HAS EATEN ANY OF THE ABOVE AND IS DISPLAYING ANY OF THE SYMPTOMS MENTIONED EARLIER IN THIS ARTICLE, SEEK VETERINARIAN HELP AND ADVICE IMMEDIATELY.
And the next time you are thinking of treating your dog to some of your dinner, you might well find this list of which foods to avoid comes in very handy!